Sunday, May 05, 2013

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Tyrone Power was born 99 years ago today. My 2011 tribute has been updated with links to reviews of more Power films seen in the past couple of years.

...May 5th is also the birthday of the wonderful Alice Faye, born in 1915.

...Monday, May 6th, is the centennial of Stewart Granger. Favorite Granger films include KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950), SCARAMOUCHE (1952), and GUN GLORY (1957).

...The Self-Styled Siren has posted a lovely "Cinco de Virginia Mayo" tribute to Virginia Mayo. I like the Siren's description of Mayo in a comment, "a remarkably consistent bit of happiness in every film."

...DVD Beaver reviews the Glenn Ford - Undercover Crimes DVD collection: "a wonderful set for any Glenn Ford or film noir fan." I picked this set up at the TCM Shop boutique at the TCM Classic Film Festival last week!

...Sadly, the new Fox Cinema Archives release of Jeanne Crain's APARTMENT FOR PEGGY (1948) seems to be pretty bad, with Brandie of Cinema Sentries headlining "Good Film, Atrocious Presentation." I love this film and am disappointed Fox put so little effort into its release.

...I'm very happy about the new Warner Archive triple feature of Joel and Garda Sloan mysteries, FAST COMPANY (1938), FAST AND FURIOUS (1939), and FAST AND LOOSE (1939). The films are unique in that three different sets of actors played the lead characters in a 15-month period; they're all great. Franchot Tone was teamed with Ann Sothern, Melvyn Douglas with Florence Rice, and my favorite Sloans were Robert Montgomery paired with Rosalind Russell.

...For those of us of a certain age, Christopher Reeve will always be SUPERMAN, and Superman has to have John Williams theme music!  That said, this trailer for a new version looks kinda interesting, with Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as Pa and Ma Kent, and Amy Adams as Lois Lane.

...Fascinating trivia: My dad passed on the news that the daughter of actors George O'Brien and Marguerite Churchill, Orin O'Brien, has been a bassist with the New York Philharmonic since 1966. She also teaches at Juilliard. Her brother, the late Darcy O'Brien, was a crime writer.

...A remake of GUYS AND DOLLS (1955)?

...After reading him for years, I had the pleasure of meeting the New York Post's Lou Lumenick at the TCM Classic Film Festival. He interviewed George Stevens Jr. about the SHANE (1955) aspect ratio controversy. There's more info on that linked in my last roundup.

...Toby reviews an inexpensive four-film Western set which sounds appealing at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...Frank Lovejoy and Richard Carlson in the same movie? I'll definitely be buying the new Olive release, RETREAT, HELL! (1952) when it comes out in June. Russ Tamblyn spoke about being cast in the film when I saw him at UCLA last March.  It was directed by Joseph H. Lewis of GUN CRAZY (1950) fame.

...Two new memoirs of interest: THE EAR OF THE HEART by Dolores Hart, released this coming week, and a memoir by Shirley Jones due out in July.

...Royal Watch: Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands abdicated last week in favor of her son, who is now King Willem-Alexander. Beatrix is 75 and had reigned for 33 years.

...I'll be taking a short trip to Arizona this week, including a stop in Monument Valley. Appropriately enough, I'll be taking along a review copy of the new book THREE BAD MEN: JOHN FORD, JOHN WAYNE, WARD BOND by Scott Allen Nolen. It was reviewed last week by Colin at Riding the High Country.

...Speaking of which, congratulations to Colin for his 250th post, on a favorite '50s Western, BEND OF THE RIVER (1952).

...Over at Cinematically Insane, Will McKinley has an entertaining report on a pre-Code festival. Will is another fellow classic film fan I was able to enjoy spending time with at the TCM Festival! I'd love to have a pre-Code festival play locally.

...And here's another great-looking new book: THE SEARCHERS: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Glenn Frankel.

...Last week the L.A. Times published an article on Lone Pine, where scores of Westerns were filmed. I've written about Lone Pine many times; for new readers, you can start with this photo post.

...Notable Passing: Allan Arbus, who had a recurring role as Sidney, the psychiatrist, on M*A*S*H, has passed on at the age of 95.

...My posts recapping the TCM Classic Film Festival will continue later this week upon my return from Arizona! I'm looking forward to sharing more of my experiences and reviewing additional films.

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, I'll never say no to movies with the ever-awesome Virginia Mayo and Tyrone Power, but I must admit this week I'm especially delighted that the FAST... collection with those lovable literary sleuths Joel and Garda Sloan! Hubby Vinnie got it for me; such a doll! :-D

9:38 AM  
Blogger LĂȘ said...

I have to read any post that begins with a picture of Tyrone Power!
Ver nice roundup, I was very interested in the Dlores Hart bio: this is one woman who has a lot to say!
Kisses!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, and I'm happy that we got to enjoy some noir together at TCMFF.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for plugging my blog yet again.

I'm 2/3 through the Ford/Wayne/Bond book. Looking forward to your review. I'm loving it.

On a related note: can I put in an advance order for a Monument Valley rock?

1:41 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Great reading as usual. Oh how I envy you, Lone Pine and Monument Valley are two places I would love to visit.
Thank you for the L A Times piece on Lone Pine.
The triple Joel and Garda Sloan films will be on my Must Buy list!
I don't fancy a GUYS AND DOLLS remake.
Loved Colin's review of BEND OF THE RIVER which I love.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Crocheted Lace said...

"For those of us of a certain age, Christopher Reeve will always be SUPERMAN" I am not sure what that age ia, but I am 50 and do not like any newer Superman movies. I like Reeve, just not Superman movies.
To me Superman is 1) as drawn in the Fleischer cartoons and 2)George Reeves, because those cheesy low budget old TV shows are so much fun.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Many thanks to all for the comments! I left town right after this post so I'm a bit behind responding. :)

Isn't it great the Sloan movies are out, Dorian and Vienna? I hope they're a big hit and lots of folks enjoy them.

Glad to hear from fellow Tyrone Power fans!

Will, it was a lot of fun being able to watch THEY LIVED BY NIGHT sitting together, as well as being present in the same audience for some other screenings. Looking forward to next year!

Toby, I didn't get very far in the book yet but I sure love the subject matter.

Crocheted Lace, I enjoyed hearing about your favorite versions of SUPERMAN!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older